Amar is a talented attorney with a diverse range of experience. At Berg Plummer Johnson & Raval, LLP, Amar focuses on insurance bad faith claims, ERISA claims, business litigation, and personal injury litigation. Amar has achieved notable results in each of these areas, including nine trial verdicts, 4 published decisions by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and numerous high-dollar settlements.
Amar is an active member of the South Asian Bar Association of Houston where he served as President, President-Elect, Treasurer, and Secretary. In 2017, he served on the National Convention Award Committee and the National Convention CLE Programming Committee. Amar is also a member of the Texas Bar College, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Houston Trial Lawyers Association, American Bar Association, Houston Bar Association, and the State Bar of Texas Asian Pacific Interest Section. He is also a fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation.
Amar is a graduate of Loyola Law School and is licensed to practice in both Texas and California. He received his Bachelor of Science from Houston Baptist University in 2000. Before joining Berg Plummer Johnson & Raval, LLP in 2017, Amar was a partner at Plummer | Raval. Before that, Amar began his career in Houston with Plummer & Associates in 2004.
- 2018, Ariana v. Humana Health Plan of Texas, Inc., 884 F.3d 246 (5th Cir. 2018): 5th Circuit overturned 26 years of jurisprudence stemming from Pierre v. Conn. Gen. Life Ins. Co., 932 F.2d 1552 (5th Cir. 1991) and concurred with every other Circuit that applies the de novo standard of review to both legal and factual determinations, thus paving the way for the Texas ban on discretionary clauses to trigger de novo review of benefit denials of health and disability benefit claims.
- Link to panel oral argument by Mr. Raval:
- Link to panel oral argument by Mr. Raval:
- 2017, Prashant v. Liberty Life Assurance Company of Boston, et al, No. 4:16-CV-1459 (S.D. Tex. Feb. 22, 2017): Court ruled that the Texas ban on discretionary clauses in insurance policies is enforceable because Texas should be able to regulate the insurance policies sold to its citizens.
- 2017, represented claimant in confidential arbitration between former husband and wife over post-divorce asset distribution. Settled favorably on eve of hearing.
- 2015, Hamsher v. North Cypress Medical Center Operating Company, Limited, 620 Fed. Appx. 236 (5th Cir. 2015): 5th Circuit reviewed an appeal from former nurse insured by North Cypress over whether her employer abused its discretion in denying her health insurance claim. Court overruled District Court’s denial and granted summary judgment for Hamsher.
- 2015, Humana Health Plan, Inc. v. Nguyen, 785 F.3d 1023 (5th 2015): 5th Circuit reviewed a matter involving ERISA subrogation rights and clarified the rights between Plan Administrators and ERISA fiduciaries.Court remanded case to District Court to determine if Plaintiff had standing to pursue subrogation claim against Plan participant.
- 2012, Benson v. Hartford, ERISA Long Term Disability claim where Hartford made offer of judgment awarding all past due benefits and reinstated the claim for continuing disability status.
- 2010, Fuller v. Hartford, ERISA Long Term Disability claim settled following litigation.
- 2010, Urbanski v. Hartford, ERISA Long Term Disability claim settled following litigation.
- 2009, Huggins v. SunLife, ERISA Short Term and Long Term Disability claim reinstated after litigation. Lump sum payment and future benefits until age 65.
- 2009, Irish v. Reliance Standard, ERISA Long Term Disability claim settled following litigation.
- 2008, Pevey v. Lincoln Financial, Non-ERISA Long Term Disability Claim reinstated following appeal. Lump Sum payment with future benefits until age 65.
- 2007, Peters v. CIGNA, ERISA Long Term Disability claim settled following litigation.
- 2006, Johnson v. The Standard, ERISA Long Term Disability Claim settled following litigation.
Honors & Awards
- 2018 - Best Lawyer Under 40 Award, State Bar of Texas Asian Pacific Interest Section
- “Fibromyalgia: What Your Doctor Needs to Know”, The Fibromyalgia Connection, 2013
- "Attorneys' Fees: Setting, Earning, and Keeping Fees in law Firms", Houston Young Lawyers Solo/Small Firm Committee, 2018
- "Substantive Legal Skills: Litigation Focus", Houston Young Lawyers Association Boot Camp, 2018
- “Hazards, Hurdles, and Pitfalls: How to Avoid Malpractice in ERISA Claims”, Houston Northwest Bar Association, 2017
- “Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure”, South Asian Bar Association of Houston, 2016
- “Hazards, Hurdles, and Pitfalls: How to Avoid Malpractice in ERISA Claims”, Houston Trial Lawyers Association, 2015
- Bellaire Board of Adjustment, 2013-2017
- Chinmaya Mission Houston, 10th grade teacher, 2016-2018